The Friday Five: April 1, 2011

Blog Marketing Up Close Word Blog Graphi
Photo Credit: Maria Reyes-McDavis

Welcome to this week’s installment of The Friday Five, featuring five of my favorite travel blog posts for you to check out! Think of it as a great way to introduce you to some awesome new bloggers who are having some truly incredible adventures! Here are my picks for this week:

My Experience During the Japan Earthquake

It’s been 3 weeks since the devastating earthquake and subsequent tsunami that ravaged Japan and Todd of Todd’s Wanderings was in Tokyo visiting his wife’s family. If you haven’t already, check out his stunning first-hand account of what happened during and after one of the biggest earthquakes ever recorded!

Life Lessons We Learned From Jordan’s Bedouins

Out in the isolated deserts of Jordan reside the nomadic Bedouin people and Daniel and Audrey from Uncornered Market were able to spend some time with them soaking up their incredibly unique way of life! This is truly a fascinating read!

The Deadly Anticipation to Travel Syndrome

Embarking on a trip is a huge undertaking. Anyone who has gone off on a big adventure know this. Michael, the male half of Art of Backpacking, has perfectly summed up the emotional rollercoaster that one experiences as their departure date approaches. After all, putting your “real” life on hold for a while can be a pretty stressful experience! Trust me, I know!

33 Photos That Will Inspire YOU to Jump Out of Your Chair and Travel the World!

Mark from Migrationology has compiled a truly stunning group of amazing photographs from around the world! If these pictures don’t make your jaw drop and do what the title says, then I don’t know what will…

The Day We Boarded Down a Volcano

Now, I will be the first to admit that I had never ever heard of volcano boarding before I stumbled onto Jess and Dani‘s post on their blog Globetrotter Girls about their experience doing just that in Nicaragua. And yes, you really do strap a piece of wood to your feet and board down a volcano… Sounds…interesting…for sure!

If you’re a fellow travel blogger and would like to bring one of your posts to my attention, please let me know in the comments below!

, ,

12 Responses to The Friday Five: April 1, 2011

1. Mark Wiens April 1, 2011 at 11:59 am #

Cool, good round-up Aaron. Todd’s account of first hand experiencing the earthquake in Japan is an incredible and sobering article.

• Aaron April 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

Yes I was really moved by Todd’s experience. And your photos were just incredible!

2. Todd | Todd's Wanderings April 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

hey Aron, thanks for including me here! And just a little Japan relief promotion. If you’re a blogger and interested in helping Japan Tsunami Survivors please check out http://www.toddswanderings.com/blog-for-japan

Congrats to all the other great articles as well. Enjoyable reads all of them.

• Aaron April 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

My pleasure Todd! And I’m glad that you’re organizaing a Blog for Japan campaign!

3. Randy April 2, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

Fantastic collection! Luckily, I’ve got some free time this weekend, so I can’t wait to go through these. Thanks for sharing.

• Aaron April 3, 2011 at 2:11 am #

Glad you found some new posts to read!

4. Globetrottergirls April 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

Aaron, thank you for including our volcano boarding post! We are happy that we were able to broaden your horizons and introduce you to this crazy sport… if you can call it that ;)

All the posts are excellent picks, we’re in great company in your Friday Five, among some of our favorite travel bloggers!

• Aaron April 3, 2011 at 2:02 am #

Hahahaha! I’d call it a sport…yeah…. Just wait…soon it’ll be part of the X Games!

5. Audrey April 3, 2011 at 4:33 am #

Thanks for including our post on lessons we learned from the Bedouins in Jordan in this round up! They really are a fascinating culture and as you spend time with them you can see how many of the traditions have been the same for centuries. Really wonderful.

• Aaron April 3, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

They sure sounded that way!

6. Erica April 3, 2011 at 10:26 pm #

This is a fantastic round up! Definitely need to check out the ones I haven’t checked out yet.

• Aaron April 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

Glad you’ve found some new posts to read!