Say What?? Travel Photo: Story

Welcome to Lijiang, the touristy pride of China’s Yunnan province. Visitors come from far away to view the scenic streets of the old town which UNESCO seems fit to declare a World Heritage Site.

Lijiang Side Street

But as you’re walking around taking pictures, it’s hard not to miss the amusing array of signage that adorn local businesses. After all, each of those businesses probably has a story to tell, right?

Well, it seems some of those businesses like to take that story seriously. Like perhaps the owners of this Inn?

"The Story of the Small Town Inn"

I’m betting this story will be the next Hollywood blockbuster!

Say What?? is a weekly series featuring numerous hilarious signs from my travels. Check back every Sunday for updates! Or better yet, subscribe to my RSS feed to receive them automatically!

6 Responses to Say What?? Travel Photo: Story

1. Acceleratedstall May 8, 2011 at 10:30 am #

Oh I’m betting it would be a good one tell fireside on a dark and stormy night. Enjoyed the pics and your creative observations. Thanks

• Aaron May 8, 2011 at 11:39 am #

Hahahahaha thanks!

2. Sarah Wu May 9, 2011 at 12:46 am #

Really nice old town, my fiance is born in China and he still haven’t took me back for a visit. (We been together for 10 years). I would love to stop by here when we go back and see he’s parent. lol. Love that sign say small town. (I can read Chinese character)

• Aaron May 9, 2011 at 2:40 am #

Lijiang is a beautiful old town, though it’s so overrun with tourists that I felt like it kind of ruined the experience, so, while picturesque, I wasn’t the biggest fan. Haha is that actually what the sign says in Chinese? I gotta wonder about some of the other signs I’ve featured in this series!

3. Roy | cruisesurfingz May 10, 2011 at 3:59 am #

I love reading foreign signs written in English. So unintentionally funny…

• Aaron May 11, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

Me too! And China is an absolute goldmine for them! SE Asia, not so much, but I will always be fond of the stores that are “Close” (as opposed to Open).